a blog with cultural bulimia.
Friday, April 30, 2004
Thursday, April 29, 2004
the paper of record: today's nytimes
- Florida Woman Is Charged in a Hit-and-Run That Killed 2
- it was a 'nothing-out-of-the-ordinary' story. except that the photo in the paper (not available online. the one on the right is from a different paper) really spoke to me. the woman, a teacher, hit some kids, killed two of them and never stopped. she looks so ordinary. she shows no emotion. she has a blank expression of someone who is tired. she is paying for a decision made in a split second. not the best decision. but one that has ruined her life. IN A SPLIT SECOND. not on a second thought. it was the first thought. out of the id. run.
- Dowd: Guns and Peanut Butter
- "So let's see. What's our swell choice here?
A guy who mimed being a fighter pilot on a carrier versus a guy who mimed throwing his medals over a fence?"
- designing a new flag for iraq
- How much can you represent a country by a logo and some colors?"
- World's Poorest
- make sure you click on the slide show. there is beauty everywhere. it just take the right eye to see it.
- Brazil's President Pressed to Spend More
- Faced with declining approval ratings and an excruciatingly slow economic recovery, Brazil's president, Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva, is struggling to stave off political pressure to raise spending and save his hard-earned reputation as a fiscal conservative.
"The marquee of the Castro Theater features an upcoming showing of 'Godzilla: Uncut.' This makes me very nervous." dogpoet
- very hot dog. thanks mr. df for forwarding the link. not safe for work
- South San Francisco BART Station
- Queer Music Heritage: Mr. JJ, what's your opinion on this one?
- Dept. of the especially descriptive logo
- a cartoon from iraq
- Restaurant Magazine: the 50 best restaurants in the world. you do not have to agree. i don't, but whadduino? ALTHOUGH, I did eat on the top rated NY restaurant, Gramercy Tavern. A 'Chef's Tasting Menu' (meaning you don't get to choose what is coming - he does) that consisted mostly of Sweetbreads. I HATE SWEETBREADS...
- tall restroom
- "in the dark with my eyes closed"
- Madonna Goes to War
"I find myself in the ludicrous position of being sued by my own record company"
image:Painter by Mr. JJ]
Wednesday, April 28, 2004
from luiz carlos, the Siren
Eu por exemplo já tenho algumas coisas acertadas para mim. Quero estar perto daqueles que me são caros. Quero fixar raizes agora com vistas ao futuro, quero estar perto de meus amigos e de minha família, quero estar cercado de pessoas nas quais eu enxergo uma história de longa data, que me sirvam de espelho, que me lembrem o passado, que me aturem em nome de outros dias, que me reconheçam no escuro e de costas... que saibam dos meus valores, do que acredito e do que destesto. Este sou eu.
"I want to be surrounded by the people i share history with, people that know me so well they would find me in the dark, with their eyes closed and my back turned to them."
loosely translated. Luiz prefers people that would "recognize me in the dark". except, this blog is mine.]
Via the Dead to Life
Margolles focuses not on the dead but on the physical traces left by death, violence and social exclusion and uses them as didactic and cathartic elements of a subtle and disturbing socially critical art.
- Korean Food, the most underrated food out there.
32nd Street between Mad and 6th is Koreatown and I use to have lunch there all the time when I worked nearby. But my favorite Korean Restaurant used to be Dok Suni's, on First Ave. between 7th St. & St. Marks. Is it still there?
- eBay item 4146756343 : SIZE 12 WEDDING GOWN. A wedding dress goes on eBay. Put up there by the groom. via aa
- The Hard Rocco Café:
The Restaurant isn't just a series about the cutthroat culinary business but also a parable about the dangers of selling your soul – and your spaghetti – to reality TV.
- Top 100 Biggest Cities in the U.S.
- I heart the w3, reason #87: Parking Spots
- photos of people holding up toy cars to fit in with real surroundings.
Tuesday, April 27, 2004
You're walking, José.
José, but to where?
the poetry of Carlos Drummond de Andrade including José
You don't have a woman,
You have no one to talk to,
You don't get affection
You can't drink any more.
You can't smoke any more.
You can't even spit.
The night's turned cold,
You didn't see daylight,
Or the next streetcar,
You didn't see utopia,
And everything's over,
Everything's gone away,
And now, José?
Alone in the dark
Just a beast in the woods
With no theology
With no blank wall
To shelter yourself
With no black horse
To flee at a gallop,
You're walking, José,
José, but to where?
photo by Gothamist: The Bobst Library
- Queen Mary 2
- bluejake has great pictures. i'm in the top one.
- i heart ny, reason #97
- keeping off the grass
- Karl Lagerfeld Has 40 IPods
- or a 40G one, not sure.
- my desktop wallpaper du jour
- the baby daddy calendar on the right
- A Tale of Two Romans
- with 1 week apart Cate Blanchet and Debra Messinger give birth to boys and name them roman
- rich people often tip the least.
- money is not an issue. to them.
- Obituaries - Thomas Corbally, "the original James Bond"
- "he taught King Hussein of Jordan to water-ski, had Mother Teresa’s private phone number, and was licensed to carry a gun in London. He was romantically linked with some of the richest and most beautiful women in the US." "Corbally, whose looks were compared to those of Jason Robards and voice to that of Johnny Cash, dressed immaculately."
Monday, April 26, 2004
i saw jesus!
photos by mr. jj
click here and help me create a definition for
'i saw jesus'. i can't believe one does not exist already...
ps: i'm the one on the right. i thought i had a butt.
- word of the day
- quality of which seem "unstable", and have an aural "need" to resolve to a "stable" condition.
- Value of foreskin
- Many gay men have either a passionate worship of or a great distaste for foreskin.
- Perks of Being a Famous and Rich Man or Good-Looking Lady.
- Gothamist on Salman Rushdie's wedding
- IRAQ THE MODEL:
"who we would like to have as a president in the transitional period"
- He should be at least 84 years old with life expectancy of no more than 90 and He should have at least 2 chronic illnesses (organic) with no possible cure.
- IRAQ THE MODEL:
Sunday, April 25, 2004
mr df and i met up with mr. jj to watch the 2 queens leave new york. one word: it's BIG. and it's beautiful. and i'm glad we were there. moments like this form the history of a friendship.
"Both QM2 and QE2 will depart from the cruise terminal, at 7:30 p.m. and 7:45 p.m. respectively, sail down the Hudson River and slowly pass the Statue of Liberty at 8:30 p.m. with a fireworks display by Grucci."
remember when we saw theqm2
sail by the pier?moments like this deepen the roots of a friendship.
i'm adding subtitles to those peoplemoments that are important to me.
the sunday times
- room for thought
- The mutation that lifted us above the other apes had nothing directly to do with our brain. Rather, it had to do with our jaw.
- The Orwellian Olsens
- "It's their reality. We just live and die in it.
In Bushworld, our troops go to war and get killed, but you never see the bodies coming home."
- "'Massachusetts should not become the Las Vegas of same-sex marriage"
- Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney said.
- ''If all men knew what others say of them, there would not be four friends in the world.''
- In public, there's no expectation of privacy.
Saturday, April 24, 2004
i heart the w3
heather champ: One Tree, Bryant Street
- beh-loh oh-ree-zohn-chee
- the place where i was born: a web site about feeling rather than information
- Law & Order
- Jerry Orbach Films His Last Scenes as Lennie Briscoe
- Ruavista Magazine - Signs of the City
- the reason why I love the web so much. It combines my passion for graphics, places and new knowledge - and the fact I found it by accident while looking for information about Rocinha to illustrate my previous post. Selected links:
- Library of Numbers found in streets.
- Signs of Love: Brazilian Motels signs and facades (THE WORD "motel" in Brazil designates a hotel that rents rooms from one hour to twenty-four hours to couples who are in search of intimacy and discretion, since they are either cheating or, more commomly, still live with their parents)
- Disappearing Florida
- 14 to 42: New York City Signs
- Negative Space
- Streets of Amazonia