and

a blog with cultural bulimia.

Thursday, September 04, 2003

MASTURBATION AS A METAPHOR II

-----from my mailbox-----
Re: and now, ur point???

> V... g'morning......

well ... read ur blog this a.m....
i wanted to tell you i think masturbation is a healthy thing ...
although i am responding to your blog at face value...
i do think you meant it as a metaphor for many other issues regarding self restraint ...
such as drugs.... laziness ... over indulgences ... i am curious how u relate to it ...
and why u choose that as a thought of the day...

why did it inspire you to use it so all those that read your thoughts would read it???

very curious...curious indeed....


----------

I LOVE TO READ but, most importantly, i LOVE to share with my friends things i find interesting in my readings.

My first job, 1981, while i still was in college in Belo Horizonte (Communications, which in Brazil can lead to a career in Journalism, Advertising or PR) was at the Communication Office for the State Bank of Minas Gerais.

My favorite responsibility was to read all major national newspapers and magazines and put together a 'clipping' of the news that matter for the President and Directors. Little did they know about the trotskyist in me. Little by little i started to include things that didn't matter (pictures, cartoons, cultural news...) and to expand the distribution (i.e. my friends outside the company and people i liked within the company). The day the President called my boss to complain he had not received his copy was the day i felt there was a purpose at that time: revolution will come from within....

One year later my clippings where out of hand. Most of it were news that didn't matter and the distribution list was more inflated than the country's economy: i always carried a stack in my car for the regulars at Bar do Lulu. Most importantly, i had had a conflict of interest with the trotskyist in BH: they wanted me to go under in the 'revolutionary movement' and i wanted to come out of the closet.

Fast forward 20 years and a couple of lives and i find myself in NY so appaled by the contents of my internet mailbox (mostly junk, INCLUDING and ESPECIALLY jokes, dirty pics and chain mail) that i take upon myself the QUIXOTIC task of elevating the level of the discussion by mailing 'internet clippings' to my friends. Some loved, most didn't have a comment and one asked to be removed from my list because his mailbox was already full of junk.

I guess that mailing list was this blog's relative that passed away.

I never really thought too much about my choice of clipping. They were things i found interesting. That i wanted my friends to read. SIGNPOSTS SO WE WOULD NOT LOOSE EACH OTHER BY TAKING DIFFERENT TURNS ON THE ROAD. Sellfish? Nah, just afraid we would not recognize each other at the end.

Recently, in talking with two important new people in my life - that learned so much about me so fast that i CANNOT not believe in spiritual connection (is it, then, a sign that GOD exists?) - i've come to realize that all along these clippings have been a constantly evolving PERSONAL AD. This is who I really am, these are the things that interest me: all of them. The serious AND the silly.

I'm the sum of this blog. It doesn't make sense? It's incomplete?

I know.

EVOLUTION.
I just had an insight on why i LOVED the movie "Adaptation" so much: i'm just like that screenplay writer, trying to convey too much in too little and, in the process, never finishing the story, leading him into feeling frustrated.
And the opposite of the actual book writer, who was able to convey everything from orchidae fila to the meaning of life with stops on the history of Florida in a very pleasant and accessible way.

BUT I DIGRESS...