and

a blog with cultural bulimia.

Monday, October 20, 2003

FORGIVE ME FATHER, FOR I HAVE SINNED



STRAIGHT IRE FOR THE QUEER CHOIR
New York Post: "A Catholic pastor ordered two men out of the choir because they went public with their gay wedding, the men say.

LOSING A CHURCH, KEEPING THE FAITH
"I know what I am inside. I do not believe that my orientation is on a par with others' lapses into lust when they also have an option for sexual and emotional life that is blessed and celebrated by the church. I do not believe I am intrinsically sick or disordered, as the hierarchy teaches, although I am a sinner in many, many ways. I do not believe that the gift of human sexuality is always and everywhere evil outside of procreation. (Many heterosexual Catholics, of course, agree with me, but they can hide and pass in ways that gay Catholics cannot.) I believe that denying gay people any outlet for their deepest emotional needs is wrong. I think it slowly destroys people, hollows them out, alienates them finally from their very selves."
via andrewsullivan.com

Ah, the Catholic Church... I was raised Catholic, in the biggest Catholic country in the world (where it is the official religion - no separation between church and state) by a very religious father who, luckly, believed in not imposing religion on his son.

But it was impossible to totally escape the Church's doctrination as it permeates the culture of the country - better yet, it is the cultural foundation upon which our culture developed.

When one walked through Brazil Body & Soul at the Guggenheim, the most comprehensive show about the history of art in Brazil ever put together - ever - one could not help but notice that the bulk of the pieces shown were religious icons. There was a whole section dedicated to Aleijadinho (The Little Cripple) whose entire life was dedicated to art used to decorate churchs.

It is hard to part with all that it means to me to be Catholic, yet, racionally I cannot justify it. I do understand that history has been rewritten many times - every time power shifted hands - and unfortunately it will be impossible to recover its truth after all these centuries.

It gets lonelier...


MORE on Gay couple ejected from Catholic choir



PHOTOLOG: Satan's Laundromat
Brooklyn-based photolog with an emphasis on strange signage, urban decay, and general weirdness. The kind I would love to have.





.:: BAG OF MIXED CATS ::.

Quote of the week: "We are all born naked. Everything else is drag, right? I often feel that I am a gay man trapped in this body." -- Pamela Anderson at nerve.com

"People Who Have Blogs But Shouldn't" at low culture

"More on Easterbrook " at instapundit.com

"Salvation is cheap" at guardian online

"Drama Dept.: Queer Guy Meets The Press" at ny magazine

"Same-sex family values" at salon.com