and

a blog with cultural bulimia.

Friday, December 12, 2003

london, london
"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life"
Samuel Johnson

And Johnson was NOT wrong. I lived in London back in my twenties and cried the day i left, vowing that i would be back to the place i had chosen to spend the rest of my life.
Ah, the passions of one's youth...

Anyway, that was just the segue to one of my favorite - and very sad - Caetano Veloso songs, from the self-titled 1971 album:
London, London
Caetano Veloso

I’m wandering round and round nowhere to go
I’m lonely in London, London is lovely so
I cross the streets without fear
Everybody keeps the way clear
I know, I know no one here to say hello
I know they keep the way clear
I am lonely in London without fear
I’m wandering round and round here nowhere to go
Oh sunday, monday, autumm pass by me
And people hurry on so peacefully
A group approaches a policeman
He seems so pleased at least
And it’s so good to live in peace and
Sunday, Monday, years and I agree
I choose no face to look at
Choose no way
I just happen to be here
And it’s ok
Green grass blue eyes
Gray sky God bless silent pain
And happiness
I came around to say yes
And I say
While my eyes
Go looking for flying saucers in the sky
While my eyes
Go looking for flying saucers in the sky