the paper of record: today's nytimes
- Florida Woman Is Charged in a Hit-and-Run That Killed 2
- it was a 'nothing-out-of-the-ordinary' story. except that the photo in the paper (not available online. the one on the right is from a different paper) really spoke to me. the woman, a teacher, hit some kids, killed two of them and never stopped. she looks so ordinary. she shows no emotion. she has a blank expression of someone who is tired. she is paying for a decision made in a split second. not the best decision. but one that has ruined her life. IN A SPLIT SECOND. not on a second thought. it was the first thought. out of the id. run.
- Dowd: Guns and Peanut Butter
- "So let's see. What's our swell choice here?
A guy who mimed being a fighter pilot on a carrier versus a guy who mimed throwing his medals over a fence?"
- designing a new flag for iraq
- How much can you represent a country by a logo and some colors?"
- World's Poorest
- make sure you click on the slide show. there is beauty everywhere. it just take the right eye to see it.
- Brazil's President Pressed to Spend More
- Faced with declining approval ratings and an excruciatingly slow economic recovery, Brazil's president, Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva, is struggling to stave off political pressure to raise spending and save his hard-earned reputation as a fiscal conservative.