and

a blog with cultural bulimia.

Saturday, May 15, 2004

greek tragedy

The plot:
Paris, prince of Troy, seduces and absconds (note: my word of the day) with the wife of Spartan king Menelaus. It's a well known fact that Spartans don't take kindly to such betrayals and before long, Menelaus and his brother Agamemnon set sail with 1,000 ships (give or take) to steal Helen back, sack Troy, and pummel the House of Priam back to the Silver Age.

A cast of thousand sacrifices hecatombs, and the Greeks and Trojans square off at great length (and cost). Conveniently, the two greatest warriors in the world - noble Hector, brother of Paris, and arrogant Achilles, whose thirst for immortality fuels his bloodlust - also go at it. The movie ends (spoiler alert) with a rather clever gimmick involving a horse.

from yesterday's The New York Sun

eric bana I saw Troy last night and I have one word (actually two) for you: Eric Bana. Who, out of nowhere, (OK, he was "The Hulk" but that memory has been misplaced somewhere in my head) has caused some commotion on my top 5 list (I know, that joke is tired already).

I actually have another (few) word for you: Brad 'blah' Pitt does NOT play the role of Troy. That's actually not a character but a place in Ancient Greek History (part of Turkey, nowadays). He plays Achilles, the one of the tendon, which is funny because the whole premise of the movie is that his motivation was to be remembered forever and what his name is associated the most with, today, is his weakness. (When Achilles was born, his loving mother Thetis wished to make him immortal, and for that purpose she dipped him in the waters of the river Styx holding him upside down by his - guess... - ankles).

Everything I know about Ancient Greece I learned by devouring O minotauro (The Minotaur) and Os doze trabalhos de Hércules (The Twelve Labors of Hercules) by Monteiro Lobato

I've always loved to read. Or so I remember. The first gift I remember receiving were the complete works of Monteiro Lobato. I cannot begin to explain how many things not only I learned but that I still remember because of his books. And I have never found a children's book written in the same manner - not style - combining imagination, adventure, learning and fun.

I was thinking this after the movie last night. I now believe the reason I love reading and learning new things is because Lobato showed me that satisfaction can be simply a figment of my imagination.