and

a blog with cultural bulimia.

Saturday, July 31, 2004

Comfortably Numb

Comfortably Numb Pink Floyd via Scissor Sisters
It's a time-honored tradition for New York bands: Make it big in England while you plug away in anonymity in the States. THE STROKES and the YEAH YEAH YEAHS were the most recent beneficiaries of the British hype machine—now, it's the SCISSOR SISTERS. The quintet have been spending the better part of the year overseas, most of it in the Queen's country, where they are bona fide rock stars. They had a Top 10 single with their campy cover of Pink Floyd's 'Comfortably Numb,' earlier this year, and then this month their debut album hit the No. 1 spot on the British charts.

Last Sunday the Scissors Sisters had a 'release' party of their U.S. album at Mass, Paul (the man) Ferrer gave me a copy of it and it's the only album I have been listening to since.

Hello?
Is there anybody in there?
Just nod if you can hear me.
Is there anyone home?
Come on, now.
I hear you're feeling down.
Well I can ease your pain,
Get you on your feet again.
Relax.
I need some information first.
Just the basic facts,
Can you show me where it hurts?
There is no pain, you are receding.
A distant ship's smoke on the horizon.
You are only coming through in waves.
Your lips move but I can't hear what you're sayin'.
When I was a child I had a fever.
My hands felt just like two balloons.
Now I got that feeling once again.
I can't explain, you would not understand.
This is not how I am.
I have become comfortably numb.