and

a blog with cultural bulimia.

Sunday, July 25, 2004

The Ethicist.

"I am a resident alien interested in politics. Obviously, I cannot vote for president, and my husband, also a foreigner, insists that I have a duty not to express my political views.
Free expression is a cornerstone of American democracy, and it's not limited to citizens. In fact, I've even heard of residents here from other countries (France) offering their thoughts (criticisms) on American political life (our quirky wars) -- and no reason why they shouldn't. We all benefit from the fullest exchange of ideas.

There are citizenship requirements for some forms of political activity -- holding office, for example. In addition, you might find it prudent, if you are ever in circumstances where citizenship seems pertinent, to be candid about your status, but doing so need not deter you from expressing your views."