and

a blog with cultural bulimia.

Sunday, August 07, 2005

Compromise is the foundation.

"Being single used to mean I wasn't good enough or thin enough or whatever enough. These days I'm single in part because I am no longer willing to put up with what I used to in order to prop up one collapsing relationship after another. And therein, I suppose, lies the rub. Compromise, I tell my 14-year-old son, is the foundation of any successful relationship. You have to be willing to overlook some things.

But I've overlooked enough things: cheating, obesity, addiction, unemployment and possibly covert homosexuality. And I am no longer willing to compromise in what I want from whom I desire. Also, I'm at an age at which I'm set enough in my own ways that the reality of having to fit someone else's quirks and needs into my own space seems a rather tall order." [Modern Love]