and

a blog with cultural bulimia.

Friday, September 02, 2005

I love 'the movies'.

I watch them, I read about them, I look forward to them.

So I wondered why I had never heard of THE SKELETON KEY. It has Kate Hudson, Gena Rowlands, Peter Sarsgaard and John Hurt in it.

AND... it doesn't matter. When I see movies like this I question how fully aware were the actors when they commited to it. A LOT of money was spent. Or wasted.

It is a horror movie but the most disturbing scenes, to me, right now, were those of (beautiful) New Orleans and it's (placid) watery surroundings.
One of the most enjoyably inane movies of the season, this faux Southern Gothic offers an embarrassment of geek pleasures: Kate Hudson running around in a T-shirt and underwear, a scenery-chewing villain, intimations of unspeakable evil, slamming doors and equally slamming edits and an introductory course in hoodoo, a folk religion born in the South. All this and Gena Rowlands, Peter Sarsgaard and John Hurt, too, a divine troika who look perfectly content to be neck-deep in so much Spanish moss and hooey. [New York Times]