and

a blog with cultural bulimia.

Sunday, December 04, 2005

Of No Importance.

 After devouring 'Sense & Sensibility' and still not overdosed on british aristocracy, I'm now reading some of Oscar Wilde's plays. Delectable, delightful, delicious... Some excerpts from "A Woman of No Importance":

***
LADY S: Every one I know says you are very, very wicked.

LORD I: It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about, nowadays, saying things against one behind one's back that are absolutely and entirely true.

***
LADY H: I don't know how he made his money, originally.

K: I fancy in American dry goods.

LADY H: What are American dry goods?

LORD I: American novels.

LADY H: How very singular! ...

***
All Americans do dress well. They get their clothes in Paris.

***
We in the House of Lords are never in touch with public opinion. That makes us a civilised body.

***
One can survive everything nowadays, except death, and live down anything except a good reputation.