and

a blog with cultural bulimia.

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Those words.

Not much left to say about the Kramer affair except that I read this and thought it made a very interesting point. I have, on occasion, referred to fags that annoyed me as fag in a derogatory ton of voice - am I homophobic? Hit me.
A possible explanation (not an excuse, there is a difference) for Michael Richards' rant is one I have often observed. It is that when one person makes another person extremely angry, in this case by interrupting the routine of a washed-up former celebrity, the offended person, in his rage, says not necessarily what he truly believes, but rather what he believes will hurt that person the most. Therefore, it's possible that Richards was not, in a Freudian slip, revealing his inner racist; but rather was saying that which he felt would most offend the person who offended him. Only the people who know him best know which is the case. The only thing I know is that this episode won't end his career. 'The Michael Richards Show' already took care of that. From a comment on Andrew Sullivan